1. CHAINSAW DUPONT LAKE ST. LULLABY Blues Warrior $13.99
Powerful electric Chicago blues with one foot in the Delta fueled by guitarist/singer David Chainsaw Dupont's high octane attack.
2. NORA JEAN BRUSO SINGS THE BLUES Red Hurricane 5001 $15.99
Nora Jean is a relatively new singer with a great set of pipes backed by a great band.
3. EASY BABY IF IT AIN'T ONE THING... Wolf 120.805
Easy Baby has long been one of Chicago's South and Westside's best kept secrets for far too long. Great traditional postwar harmonica playing and singing.
4. BILLY FLYNN BIG GUITAR; THE SMOKEDADDY BAND; BLUES & LOVE Easy Baby 300, 400, 500 $16.99
Billy Flynn is one of the hardest working and versatile electric blues guitar players goin' these days. He currently tours with Kim Wilson as well as his own band. Big Guitar is a fabulous set of original instrumentals paying homage to Billy's surf-inspired roots.
5. CHICAGO BLUES ANGELS MOVIN' OUT Blue Bella 2001 $16.99
A local favorite at Buddy Guy's blues bar Legends of seasoned young musicians.
6. JOHNNIE MAE DUNSON BIG BOSS LADY Lakada 1921 $16.99
Traditional Chicago blues with a whole lotta soul.
7. MIKE GIBB SHOOTIN' THE BLUES Homerecords 70142-0802 $12.99
Mike is a roadwarrior with local blues diva Liz Mandville Greeson. On this record he really gets to strut his stuff.
8. NICK MOSS GOT A NEW PLAN; COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS Blue Bella 1002, 1003 $16.99
For years, Nick payed his dues as a double threat on electric bass and guitar backing a who's who of Chicago artists. His solo records showcase his robust guitar style and singing as well as his songwriting.
9. KID DYNAMITE EXPLOSION Old Skool 201 $11.99
The Kid is a fixture at Chicago's Kingston Mines blues bar entertaining locals and tourists alike with his James Brown influenced style and antics.
10. MISSISSIPPI HEAT STRAIGHT FROM THE HEART; HANDYMAN; LEARNED THE HARD WAY; FOOTPRINTS ON THE CEILING; VanDerLinden 100, 101, 103, Crosscut 11071 $15.99
More of a blues revue than a blues band, Mississippi Heat has always drawn from Chicago's deep pool of blues talent.
11. JOEL PATERSON DOWN AT THE DEPOT Ventrella 3596 $15.99
Joel is a wonderful utility player who has been captivated and playing acoustic country blues since he was 15 years old. This CD showcases Joel's fluid fingerpicking and slide playing via old chestnuts and originals. A brand new electric country blues CD with some of Chicago's finest musicians will be out later this summer.
12. EDDIE TAYLOR JR. WORRIED ABOUT MY BABY Wolf 120.811 $16.99
The son of the late and great guitarist and singer Eddie Taylor (best known as Jimmy Reed's guitar player and his own records for the legendary Vee Jay label), Eddie Jr. proudly carries on his father's tradition with contemporary flair and style.
13. VANCE KELLY WHAT THREE OLD LADIES CAN DO Wolf 120.801 $16.99
Rocket fueled contemporary electric Southside blues guitar!
14. L.V. BANKS RUBY Wolf 120.898
Literally one of the last of the Southside old school musicians, L.V. is still bashin' it out with the best of `em.
15. EDDIE VANN SHAW THE TRAIL OF TEARS Wolf 120.878 $16.99
While not quite as traditional as his father (saxophonist Eddie Shaw), Eddie Van Shaw's blistering guitar pyrotechnics are an indication of things to come in the contemporary blues world.
16. MARY LANE APPOINTMENT WITH THE BLUES Noir $9.99
Backed by Chicago veterans guitarist Johnny B. Moorie and pianist Detroit Junior, Mary's style harken back to the glory days when the blues was heard in local South and Westside taverns such as Theresa's, the Queen Bee Lounge and the (original) Checkerboard. This is the only record that she has made and because of very limited distribution, we are more-than-likely the only store that still carries it. This is an honest downhome set of the real shit. This is normally $15.99, but we're having a special sale and only charging $9.99 for this great disc!
17. PIANO C. RED CAB DRIVING MAN Keyboard $11.99
Red's main gig may be driving a cab, but he has long been a fixture on both the original and now the new (and apalling generic) Maxwell Street flea market. A lively spirited singer and piano player!
18. ANDRE TAYLOR PLAYING HARD... Kingston Mines 2001 $15.99
Another fixture at the Northside blues bar Kingston Mines on their very own label representing their very own, give the people what they want brand of blues.
19. NELLIE TIGER TRAVIS I GOT IT LIKE THAT TigerBelle $17.99
Still yet ANOTHER fixture at local tourist site the Kingston Mines, Nellie is blessed with a great voice and fun crowd pleasing material.
20. BILLY BRANCH AND THE SONS OF THE BLUES Blue Sun $16.99
Billy continues to carry the torch on this CD of urban electric blues with bandmate Carlos Johnson and Latvia's premier blues band Dr. Bromenthal.
21. FRUTELAND JACKSON BLUE 2.0 Electro-Fi 3380 $17.99
One of the few local contemporary black musicians carrying on the tradition of the great acoustic country blues performers of the 20s and 30s.
22. ERWIN HELFER I'M NOT HUNGRY BUT I LIKE TO EAT--BLUES! Sirens 5001 $16.99
Erwin has been playing and recording blues and jazz since the mid-50s and is hands down one of the best traditional blues, boogie and jazz players that the Windy City has ever produced. A truly vibrant and lyrical piano player.